• Banner bar

    I’ve made my first foray into the world of Web Components by making one of my very own. Called Banner-bar it allows to create a simple horizontal banner along the top of a page with support for a logo and link. The banner has a nice shadow offsetting it from the content below, and is… Continue Reading

  • WordPress custom menu fields

    I’ve packaged-up a plugin that I wrote a while ago for a project that I worked on which required a WordPress site’s menu items to have a separately addressable excerpt field which could override the linked page’s in-built excerpt. The plugin that I’ve now released was half of the resolution to this requirement, which allows… Continue Reading


    We all receive them, and we all ignore them, but sometimes they can reveal interesting things. e.g. Don’t you love spams that come from a n00bie spammer who just paid for access to a “one-click spam everyone” tool, but didn’t read the documentation? What follows below is a true spam that I received today with… Continue Reading

  • Virtual-host setup for client development sites

    What follows is a response to many requests about how to set up a local environment of WordPress. The manual way This first list is how my colleagues taught me to set up development sites on my local PC such that each client gets their own URL which maps to This keeps WordPress happy and… Continue Reading

  • SSH connection rate limit bypass

    I’ve got a client who uses a third-party for their hosting and not allowing my company to do so ourselves. A problem arose recently due to this third-party having instituted a rate-limit on TCP Connections such as SSH and HTTP along with fail2ban. Because it’s a third-party, and we’re not contracting them ourselves, it’s difficult… Continue Reading

  • Opticrom

    Opticrom I have recently been tasked with taking this site and re-architecting it for a mobile user while still retaining the look-and-feel on the desktop. A responsive mechanism was decided upon so that all users get all the content and do not suffer when viewing on a different form-factor. I didn’t opt for a straight… Continue Reading

  • Police and Crime Commissioners elections

    Choose My PCC This was a project that I took part in for the November 2012 PCC Elections in the UK. I was involved with all the technical aspects including theming along with responsiveness. The project required a postcode to police-area lookup and custom post types with additional metadata for the candidate information pages and… Continue Reading

  • 30 and Flirty?

    I’ve reached the grand old age of 30 years young. I’m wondering if the term “30 and Flirty” as featured by Jennifer Garner in the movie “13 going on 30″ is a suitable term to give to a person of a certain age who happens to find themselves single. I don’t mind the odd flirt… Continue Reading

  • Adobe: WHY?!

    The topic of this post begins with Adobe. And ends with more frustration. Yes, I’m fed up of Adobe claiming to be the Web Developer’s go-to guy for software to enable advanced techniques in building the future Web. Actually, I’m fed up with them claiming that and then conspicuously ignoring a large part of the… Continue Reading

  • Followup – Freedom and Net Neutrality

    This post is a follow-up to my post of February 2011 in which I talk of the potential issues of Net Neutrality sparked off by the Egyptian regime of the time cutting off the Internet in an attempt to control its populace. The Pirate Bay Several ISPs have recently been forced by the British Courts… Continue Reading